Made from just dried fruits, ghee, juice and spices, this simple iron-rich fruit compote is a great recipe to have in your postpartum care tool belt. Not only are these fruits high in iron, but this recipe is a yummy breakfast or snack. It is also great for mamas who may be suffering from cold, congestion, constipation or toxic build-up. If you are breastfeeding, this meal will help your baby overcome the same complaints. Remember your food combining rules and only eat this with other fruit, juice or by itself. You don’t want to ruin your digestion and make for a gassy experience for you or your baby! For more of a desserty-type experience, add a dollop of coconut whip cream on top! 😋
Iron-Rich Postpartum Fruit Compote
- 1 C dried apricots
- 3/4 C pitted dates
- 1/2 C dried figs
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp powdered clove
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp ghee
- 3/4 C apricot (peach or apple juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (optional)
- Soak dried fruits and dates in water for 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat ghee and spices to medium heat in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and stir until fragrant.
- Add fruit and stir well, coating the fruit with the ghee/spice mixture.
- Add fruit juice and simmer on medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.