Rice porridge, also known as rice congee throughout Asia, is the #1 dish to eat the first few days after birth. Traditionally used in both Chinese medicine as well as Ayurveda, this simple dish contains all the qualities necessary to jump start your postpartum recovery.
Hot, soft, oily, sweet and well spiced, this rice pudding is deeply nourishing as well as comforting. It not only soothes the nerves, but also nourishes the tissues, stimulates digestion, and rebuilds the blood. This rice porridge is medicine for mamas! Enjoy!
New Mother's Rice Porridge
- Rinse rice several times until the water runs clear.
- Bring water to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook with the lid on, stirring occasionally for several hours.
- When the rice begins to thicken, add sugar, spices and ghee.
- When the consistency is gelatinous, take off heat and serve hot.
Be sure to add this rice porridge recipe into your postpartum care plan. This is one of the most helpful recipes for the 1st phase of postpartum recovery. It should be your main recipe for the first 3 days after birth. Organize someone to cook it while you are in labor, so it will be ready as soon as you are hungry after the birth.
For a complete menu of healing postpartum recipies, buy Mama’s Menu: Ayurvedic Recipes for Postpartum Healing
Know someone who needs this recipe? SHARE it with them now!
Receive your FREE Postnatal Healing Recipes eBook now!
Ensure a strong recovery and breast milk supply with this transformative cookbook!
~VEGETARIAN & GLUTEN-FREE~